Author Notes: The ground beef flavored with red onions and Chinese five spice powder (an aromatic blend of fennel, cloves, Szechuan peppercorns, star anise, and cinnamon) grills into a tasty juicy burger. Coating the patty with hoisin sauce caramelizes the glaze's sugars giving the meat a sweetened crust. I like to top the burgers with ripe mangos marinated in fresh ginger, cilantro, and lime juice for a sweet and spicy zing. Toasted buns coated with a mixture of mayonnaise and Dijon mustard adds a little heat. This burger is just sweet enough with a bit of kick. - Garden Gate Kate - Garden Gate Kate
Food52 Review: The combination of Chinese five spice and hoisin sauce creates a meaty burger, rife with fragrant & scented caramel notes. Perfection ensues with the refreshing flavours which the ‘gingered mango salsa’ brings. While I was eager to fire up the barbie, impending grey skies led me to my kitchen cupboards and my grill pan, with excellent results. When next I make this (not if), I will slice the mango thinly rather than chunk it, so each piece can be laid across the burger, ensuring nothing gets away. - Kitchen Butterfly - A&M
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 finely chopped scallions, white and light green parts only
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Glazed Five Spice Burger
- 1/3 cup canola mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 6 hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split
- In a medium bowl, toss together mangos, scallions, ginger, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Let marinate.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Keep cold.
- Prepare grill to medium-hot heat. In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, red onion, five spice powder, salt and pepper. Form the meat into 6 patties of even thickness. Thoroughly coat patties with glaze after flipping. Cook until desired doneness. Toast buns lightly, while patties are cooking on the outer edges of the grill.
- To serve: slathering cut side of buns with Dijon mayonnaise. Place patties on bottom half of buns, drizzle with a little more hoisin sauce, top with gingery mangos and top half of buns.