If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The ground beef flavored with red onions and Chinese five spice powder (an aromatic blend of fennel, cloves, Szechuan peppercorns, star anise, and cinnamon) grills into a tasty juicy burger. Coating the patty with hoisin sauce caramelizes the glaze's sugars giving the meat a sweetened crust. I like to top the burgers with ripe mangos marinated in fresh ginger, cilantro, and lime juice for a sweet and spicy zing. Toasted buns coated with a mixture of mayonnaise and Dijon mustard adds a little heat. This burger is just sweet enough with a bit of kick. - Garden Gate Kate - Garden Gate Kate
Food52 Review: The combination of Chinese five spice and hoisin sauce creates a meaty burger, rife with fragrant & scented caramel notes. Perfection ensues with the refreshing flavours which the ‘gingered mango salsa’ brings. While I was eager to fire up the barbie, impending grey skies led me to my kitchen cupboards and my grill pan, with excellent results. When next I make this (not if), I will slice the mango thinly rather than chunk it, so each piece can be laid across the burger, ensuring nothing gets away. - Kitchen Butterfly - A&M
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 finely chopped scallions, white and light green parts only
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Glazed Five Spice Burger
- 1/3 cup canola mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 6 hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split
- In a medium bowl, toss together mangos, scallions, ginger, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Let marinate.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Keep cold.
- Prepare grill to medium-hot heat. In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, red onion, five spice powder, salt and pepper. Form the meat into 6 patties of even thickness. Thoroughly coat patties with glaze after flipping. Cook until desired doneness. Toast buns lightly, while patties are cooking on the outer edges of the grill.
- To serve: slathering cut side of buns with Dijon mayonnaise. Place patties on bottom half of buns, drizzle with a little more hoisin sauce, top with gingery mangos and top half of buns.