Author Notes: Forget the spread, guac instead! Fresh Guacamole made with Avocados from Mexico makes burgers say “Move over, mayo!” - Avocados from Mexico
For the Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados from Mexico, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 small red, ripe tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of one lime
- 1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, finely diced (optional)
For the Burgers
- 2 pounds ground sirloin, formed into four patties
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 ounces 1-oz slices cheddar cheese
- Green leaf lettuce
- 2 ripe, red tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- PREPARE THE GUACAMOLE: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the avocado, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, salt and jalapeno. Stir to combine and then set aside while preparing the burgers.
- PREPARE THE BURGERS: Season each patty with steak seasoning on both sides before cooking. You can use a skillet, grill pan, or a grill over high heat to cook your burgers to desired degree of doneness. When the burgers are almost finished cooking, toast the buns in a toaster oven, a dry skillet, or on the grill.
- Assemble the burgers by layering the bottom half of each bun with leaves of lettuce, a burger patty, a slice of cheese, slices of onion, and slices of tomato. Top with a generous scoop of guacamole, and cover with bun.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Burgers