If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by chicken Kiev this recipe uses Maytag blue in the center. For the first ones I made, I used room temperature blue cheese. It makes sense to freeze the Maytag cheese pats first. There is a great burst of flavor in these burgers. Served with grilled scallions and red onions, fresh cherry tomatoes make a great simple garnish. -Sagegreen —Sagegreen
Food52 Review: Sagegreen's technique for stuffing burgers with blue cheese is inspired. She freezes 1 tablespoon pats in advance, embedding them in the meat just before grilling -- minimal mess, plus when the blue cheese starts to ooze, you know the center is just warm and your burgers are done! Cherry tomatoes and grilled scallions are beautiful garnishes, but a bit unruly once inside a burger -- easily remedied by giving the scallions a rough chop after grilling and swapping in thick slabs of beefsteak or heirloom tomato. Don't skip the buttered bun. – Kristen —The Editors
- 1/2 pound mix of ground sirloin and chuck
- 2 tablespoons Maytag blue, sliced and frozen
- coating of kosher or pink Himalayan salt for each burger
- coating of fresh ground black pepper
- 4 scallions
- 2 slices red onion
- 2 Kaiser rolls or buns of your choice, buttered
- 8 cherry tomatoes for garnish
- spray of olive oil
- Form your burgers and make a deep depression in the center of each.
- Place 1 tbl. pat of frozen Maytag blue cheese in each depression. Shape the burger around it to cover completely, and make another depression with your thumb in the center. Make sure the cheese is still covered.
- Coat each side of the burgers evenly with salt and pepper.
- Spray lightly with olive oil.
- Grill red onion slices,scallions, and burgers 2-3 minutes per side.
- Butter and toast rolls. Serve with cherry tomatoes for garnish.
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
The craziest chip around.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.