Author Notes: This is a variation of a recipe my father in law served us for lunch during our visit to France last year. It was summertime so the weather was quite warm and the Saturday market had such fresh and beautiful tomatoes that he made us a light lunch that was so deliciously flavorful that it stood out in my mind more than it normally would. - Dionne Baldwin
- 1 Ripe Mango
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsalmic vinegar
- Pit and peel your ripe mango.
- Place your mango in the food processor with your minced ginger, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix. Taste. Then add balsalmic vinegar. Mix and taste again.
- Combine well until smooth. Set aside, refrigerate your dressing for a cool, refreshing addition to your sandwich.
Heirloom Tomato Sandwich
- 1 loaf of Dave's Killer Bread Peace Bomb
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- olive oil for brushing
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Warm outdoor grill or oven broiler.
- Carefully slice peace bomb in half.
- Brush olive oil on both freshly cut sides of your baguette and grill the inside (or broil) until your bread is lightly toasted.
- Remove from heat and slice or spread goat cheese over toasted baguette.
- Chop basil and sprinkle over goat cheese. It doesn't have to be a super fine chop, just enough to spread out the basil over the cheese.
- Slice your tomatoes and set aside.
- Place baguette back onto grill or under broiler until cheese begins to warm, before the edges of bread turn brown. This should only take approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a minute or two.
- Slice each baguette in half making four pieces total.
- Lay fresh slices of heirloom tomatoes onto the baguette, overlapping if you wish.
- Lightly pour mango vinaigrette over sandwich, drizzling extra on the plate.
- Serve and enjoy the perfect medley of flavors as they complement the fresh heirloom tomatoes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes