If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here is a variation to my zwetschgen kuchen where I am not using sapa and sumac but nutmeg, cream, almonds, and brandy. With this recipe I have made two small cakes with yellow Japanese shira plums. You can opt to make one regular size cake just as readily. For the bottom I now suggest a pie crust base. This is my second time trying out this new recipe. It works pretty well. If you try it, I would love to hear what you think. For the top I opted for the luscious cream, rather than the healthy yogurt version. It is really good. The photos of the slices were taken at night, and do not do this justice. - Sagegreen
- 1 1/4 cups Gluten-free all purpose flour (Arrowhead Mills baking mix)
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 3 ounces cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sweet yellow plums, depitted and sliced thinly
- 3 cherry plums or sweet cherries, depitted and cut
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 whole egg and the extra egg white, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon brandy, preferably plum
- a few drops of almond extract
- 1/2 cup or so of organic cane sugar, to taste (depending upon how tart fruit is)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon for top
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on the side
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You can use a coffee grinder for the almonds rather than buying them ground.
- Mix the flour, almonds, salt, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon,and yoke together. Quickly incorporate the butter until the mixture consolidates and becomes crumbly.
- Press the dough mixture into the bottom of your baking dish aiming for an even thin layer with walls about 1" tall.
- Crimp the top of the wall with your thumb and index finger by pressing along the top all the way around. Set the shell aside.
- Whisk the beaten whole beaten egg and egg white together with the cream.
- Mix the sugar, spices, brandy, and almond extract in with the egg and cream mixture.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared shell, filling it no more than 2/3 full.
- Arrange the plums concentrically in with the cream mix, taking care not to create an overflow. Place the red cherry plums or cherries at the center and work out with the yellow plums from there. You may have more liquid and/or plums left over, which you can bake together without any crust.
- Sprinkle the top with a little additional nutmeg and cinnamon lightly. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned on top. Let cool.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Plums