Author Notes: This recipe is a version of one my mother made that I have adapted and perfected over the years. So much so that my mother now asks me to make them. I love them so much they need no pasta or sandwich or other accompaniment. - susan259
Serves a lot :)
- 2 pounds ground beef-ask your butcher or grocer for the ground beef made from all the trimmings. At my store, they call it market ground beef. It is always fresh and because it combines different pieces/parts of beef has great flavor & the right amount of fat
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- Gently break up ground beef in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and use hands to combine. Do not overwork the meat here, you just want it to start to come together.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and have ready a large glass baking dish. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop and shape meatballs. Again, the goal is to just get the meat to come together, don't overwork the meat. Brown meatballs in skillet on all sides. Transfer to baking dish, and bake for 15 minutes or so until just done. Do not over cook as meatballs will become dry. Alternately, have ready on the stove a large pot of simmering spaghetti sauce. As the meatballs brown, drop into the sauce to finish cooking.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs