If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got the inspiration for the recipe from a local Japanese restaurants' soup dumplings. This is my take on it. FYI, the meatballs can be served on their own as an appetizer. - adamnsvetcooking
Serves 2 - 4
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup scallions (diced finely, whites and greens plus one scallion for garnish
- 1 medium sized garlic clove minced finely
- 1 tablespoon red miso paste
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 3/4 cup shiitake mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- oil or non-stik spray
- Pre-heat oven to 400ºF. In a bowl mix ground chicken and pork. To the mixture add the scallions, garlic, soy sauce, red miso paste, and the whisked egg (you can dissolve the miso in the soy sauce for ease of mixing). Mix until incorporated. Grease up a backing sheet with the oil or the non-stick spray. Roll the meatballs about 1/2 inch size and place onto backing sheet. Add the meatballs into the oven and bake for about 25 mins (or until done). Once meat balls are done, remove from oven and set aside.
- You can follow the recipe on the back of the kombu package to make the dashi. I made the dashi with about 4 cups of water, about 2-3 inches of kombu (kelp) and 2 hand fulls of bonito flakes. Bring the cold water and kombu to a boil (cook for about 5 to 10 mins), add bonito flakes, and cook for about 5 to 10 mins. Strain and reserve the broth to remove the kombu and bonito flakes. (You might need to to season the dashi, if so use some soy sauce).
- To the strained broth add the thinly sliced shitake mushrooms, and the meatballs. Simmer over medium heat for about 20 mins. During this time the flavor from the meatballs and shiitake mushrooms will infuse the broth. Ladle the soup into bowl and garnish with the reserved sliced scallion. Enjoy!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Behind the scenes.
Recipe of the Day
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.