If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These meatballs are browned to crisp the outside and then baked with a sweet-tangy, honey-lemon glaze.
I like using ground turkey but it is versatile, use whatever ground meat you desire, then shape them - large size for a dinner or small Hors d' Oeuvre size served with a toothpick; either way they are delicious!
*Recipe inspired by a Martin Yan panko coated, lemon chicken recipe (a favorite of mine), however, I modify a lemon glaze ingredient of his = plum sauce to an apricot preserve.
Makes 16 medium meatballs or 32 cocktail size
MEATBALL INGREDIENTS – Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 oz. fresh bread cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 1 lb. of ground turkey (or a ground meat of your choice)
- Coconut oil for frying
- Vermouth to de-glaze
- Toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- 6 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 tablespoons apricot spread
- Zest from one lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh squeeze lemon juice plus its pulp
- Salte to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven - 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add the turkey and egg white; set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the ginger, carrot, onion, parsley, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, bread cubes and sesame oil a few times to mince and incorporate. Add to the turkey mixture, toss to combine. Gently shape into 16 medium size balls or 32 cocktail size.
- In a 12-14 inch oven proof skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat. Working in batches, if needed, add the meatballs and cook until brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn the meatballs over and brown the other side. Place the balls on paper towels to soak up some oil, de-glaze the skillet with vermouth and add the meatballs back, place in the preheated oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are in the oven, make the honey-lemon glaze: In a sauce pan, whisk together the honey, apricot spread, lemon zest, juice and pulp its pulp. Salt to your taste. Bring to a boil over medium heat; add ½ tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water and cook, stirring until sauce boils and thickens.
- After the meatballs have cooked for 15 minutes, pour the honey-lemon glaze over the top, coat all sides. Bake another 15-20 minutes, baste halfway through.
- Remove from the oven, baste, garnish with sesame seeds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.