Author Notes: This is one of my favorite recipes for lamb kebabs - it's quick, simple and delicious. Minced lamb is mixed with fragrant spices and cashewnuts and then baked till cooked but still moist. This is traditionally done on skewers in a tandoor, but in the absence of both I make it in the form of meatballs in the oven. It is best served hot as an appetizer with a mint and yogurt chutney, thinly sliced onions and lemon wedges, but I also love the leftovers for lunch in a wrap with some lettuce, cucumbers, green peppers, onions and tzatziki. - Heena - Heena
Food52 Review: Heena's tangy mint chuntney was the perfect accompaniment to these moist lamb meatballs, flavored with a bounty of warming Indian spices. Grinding all of the ingredients in the food processor helps save time—and makes less of a mess!. Keep your eye on the meatballs while they're cooking, though; ours took closer to 25-30 minutes. - Lauren - A&M
Serves 20 meatballs
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 ounces cashewnuts
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 4-5 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400⁰F (200⁰C).
- Place all the ingredients in the order given in a food processor and process until well mixed. (The cashewnuts will still be in pieces - I happen to like this. If you want it mixed completely, process it to a paste first before adding the other ingredients.)
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix gently with your hands. Form into 20 medium sized balls and place on a baking sheet. (Alternatively apply the mixture to skewers with moist hands.)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 mins until cooked but still moist, turning over the kebabs once or twice with a fork or tongs. Serve hot with mint chutney, thinly sliced onions and lemon wedges. Leftovers are great for lunch in a wrap with lettuce, cucumbers, green peppers, onions and tzatziki.
- 2/3 cups packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup packed frsh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala or black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup yogurt, whisked
- Salt, to taste
- Place all the ingredients except the yogurt and salt in a processor and grind to a fine paste.
- Add the paste to the yogurt and mix well. Season with salt.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs