If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my favorite recipes for lamb kebabs - it's quick, simple and delicious. Minced lamb is mixed with fragrant spices and cashewnuts and then baked till cooked but still moist. This is traditionally done on skewers in a tandoor, but in the absence of both I make it in the form of meatballs in the oven. It is best served hot as an appetizer with a mint and yogurt chutney, thinly sliced onions and lemon wedges, but I also love the leftovers for lunch in a wrap with some lettuce, cucumbers, green peppers, onions and tzatziki. - Heena - Heena
Food52 Review: Heena's tangy mint chuntney was the perfect accompaniment to these moist lamb meatballs, flavored with a bounty of warming Indian spices. Grinding all of the ingredients in the food processor helps save time—and makes less of a mess!. Keep your eye on the meatballs while they're cooking, though; ours took closer to 25-30 minutes. - Lauren - A&M
Serves 20 meatballs
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 ounces cashewnuts
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 4-5 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400?F (200?C).
- Place all the ingredients in the order given in a food processor and process until well mixed. (The cashewnuts will still be in pieces - I happen to like this. If you want it mixed completely, process it to a paste first before adding the other ingredients.)
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix gently with your hands. Form into 20 medium sized balls and place on a baking sheet. (Alternatively apply the mixture to skewers with moist hands.)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 mins until cooked but still moist, turning over the kebabs once or twice with a fork or tongs. Serve hot with mint chutney, thinly sliced onions and lemon wedges. Leftovers are great for lunch in a wrap with lettuce, cucumbers, green peppers, onions and tzatziki.
- 2/3 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup packed frsh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala or black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup yogurt, whisked
- Salt, to taste
- Place all the ingredients except the yogurt and salt in a processor and grind to a fine paste.
- Add the paste to the yogurt and mix well. Season with salt.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs