If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made these for a colleague when she was turning 50 in August. These blueberry, blue corn meal muffins bring a tangy sweetness to any age. You can order the blue corn meal online if your local store does not carry it. - Sagegreen
Serves 12 small cakes or muffins
- 1 1/4 cups blue corn meal, medium grind
- 1 1/4 cups organic pastry flour (or gluten free baking mix)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1/4 cup melted butter (or substitute canola oil)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, optional if you like sweeter
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh Maine blueberries (or frozen)
- 1/4 cup kernels cut off silver queen or shoepeg corn cobs, or other small kernel interesting corn
- 3 tablespoons demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the buttermilk and beaten eggs.
- Add the maple syrup, optional brown sugar here, and melted butter.
- Gently fold in the corn kernels, blueberries and lemon zest.
- Ladle in to 12 muffin or small cake tins lined with parchment paper or sprayed with a vegetable oil.
- Spoon a small amount of demerara sugar on top.
- Bake about 25 minutes until lightly brown on top.
- Serve warm with blueberry conserve or hot pepper jam.
Tags: sweet and savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.