If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Before the summer has come and gone, I thought I’d post how I made S’Mores recently, sticking with the original concept, but making each of the elements from scratch, and adding jam for additional flavor. Since I had made notlazy.rustic’s Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl marshmallows with success last winter, I used that recipe without the added chocolate, cinnamon, or cocoa (perhaps reverting back to Gourmet’s recipe?), and cut them into narrow squares, about 2” x 2” x1”. To replicate the graham crackers, I took a Butterscotch Slices recipe from an old cookbook, “America’s Cook Book, Compiled by the Home Institute of the NY Herald Tribune”, NY: Ch’s Scribner’s Sons, 1938, and replaced shortening with butter and added wheat germ. I know a lot of peoples’ eyes glaze over at the phrase “from scratch”, but really, it’s worth it! - SallyCan
Makes about 32
The cookies: Wheat Germ Butterscotch Slices
- 3 c sifted flour
- 1 T baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 T wheat germ
- 1 c butter, softened
- 1 ¼ c firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and wheat germ
- Cream butter and gradually beat in brown sugar, vanilla, and then add eggs, one at a time
- Stir in flour mixture
- Shape into 2 rolls about 2” in diameter and wrap each in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill thoroughly in refrigerator
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cut chilled roll into 1/8” slices, and bake on greased cookie sheet (or on cookie sheet lined with parchment)
- Bake for 7 or 8 minutes, so that they’re cooked through, but still soft and on the underdone side. Run a spatula under them right away, let cool on the pan for a minute or two, and then finish cooling on racks
- 1 batch Wheat Germ Butterscotch Slices
- 1 batch Marshmallows
- Chocolate Ganache, see below
- Peach, Strawberry, Raspberry or other jam of your choice
- The Marshmallows: Make one batch notlazy.rustic’s marshmallows (recipe found here on food52), but omit the chocolate, cocoa, and cinnamon. Cut into 2” x 2” x 1” pieces.
- The Chocolate Ganache: ½ lb dark chocolate, 1/3 c heavy whipping cream: Heat whipping cream, to warm but not boiling Melt chocolate. I use the microwave for this, heating on a med-low setting until the chocolate just begins to melt, and then stirring until completely melted. Add whipping cream to chocolate a few tablespoons at a time, stirring and stirring until it is all incorporated. Cool to room temperature. As it cools, it will thicken to a nice, spreadable consistency.
- To make the S’Mores: Spread one cookie with Chocolate Ganache another with jam. Either toast the marshmallow, skewered, on the flame of your stove or grill, or microwave it for a few seconds until puffed and soft. Sandwich toasted marshmallow between chocolate cookie and jam cookie, and eat it right away.
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.