If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by the recipe Vegetables with Saffron-Chili Mayonnaise in the Crabtree & Evelyn Cookbook, one of my many favorite books. Great with burgers, or to dip veggies, crisp potato wedges, or my favorite, fried onion rings. -mrslarkin - mrslarkin
Food52 Review: I stood whisking up this recipe with the Big Mac jingle stuck in my head, wedging the special sauce between two all beef patties and lettuce. But tasting Mrs. Larkin’s condiment by the same name proved it shouldn’t be sandwiched between any two things at all. It should be the star of the plate or at least be positioned in the role of the best supporting sauce. The condiment lightly skims the food it meets with a lemony garlic front end and a sriracha-inspired kick. I’ll use this saffron-colored beauty as a dip, a plated sauce under a steak, and stirred into fish stew. - cheese1227 - The Editors
Makes about 1 3/4 cups
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- pinch of saffron threads, about 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 3/4 cups good-quality mayonnaise, or homemade
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- dash of salt
- Warm the lemon juice and water. Add saffron and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the garlic and mash to a paste with the side of a chef's knife.
- In a medium bowl or 4-cup measuring cup, combine all ingredients and whisk with a fork. Taste for sugar and salt.
- Cook's Note: For a nice low-fat dipping sauce, mix Special Sauce into Non-fat Greek Yogurt to taste.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
Breakfast for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
When I dip, you dip, we dip.
Style with a breeze.
Genius, explained at last.
White and Grey Ceramic Vase
For fresh blooms.