If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got this recipe from a friend 6 years ago. I have made several variations of this cake, and always get asked for the recipe. The fun part is the cake takes on a different texture and flavor complexities as it ages. A new twist on the Fruit/rum cakes of the 50's. Very easy to make, and sure to have a combination to please even the food snobs who usually refuse to eat something starting from a shhhhhh.....cake mix! Other variations were: hazelnut liquor/chocolate cake mix. pistachio nuts/vanilla rum and raspberry glaze, peppermint shnapps/chocolate mix/strawberry glaze, lemon cake/blueberry glaze, lavander/lemon cake with mint blackberry glaze...endless choices. —monkeycheeks
Serves 1 to 12 servings
- 1 cake mix (yellow)
- 4 eggs
- 3 ounces package instant vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rum (spiced works best)
- Mix together the ingredients. Grease the bundt pan, sprinkle the bottom of the pan with toasted walnut pieces. Pour cake mix over nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup rum
- 5 minutes before the cake is done, mix together the rum mixture in a small saucepan, Bring to a boil. When cake is done, take fork and poke holes while still in the bundt pan. Then, POUR SLOWLY the sauce over cake-Let cake set for 15 minutes then turn it out.
- While cake is setting, chop 2 apples, and toss with teaspoon of lemon juice and teaspoon of cinnemon. take carmel topping (found in the ice cream condiments section of grocery stores) and warm in the microwave.
- Pour warmed carmel sauce over turned out cake. Sprinkle apples over warmed carmel. Serve with vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake