If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I found this recipe after looking at several different apple pie recipes. I'm on the search for the perfect apple pie to enter in the state fair. For the recipe, you can substitute 1/4 cup of apple juice for the orange juice as listed. Happy Baking! :) —chrissyb
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 2-3 splashes lemon juice
- If you have cut or sliced the apples, cover them with lemon juice so they won't turn brown. Toss them around with the lemon juice in a bowl to cover evenly. I like to do this before starting the actual pie. For me, it saves time.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.(220 degrees C).
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Stir in flour to make a paste. Add apple juice, white sugar and brown sugar; bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature and let simmer for about 2 minutes or so.
- Add vanilla,cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to the mixture.
- Add the apples to the butter mixture in the saucepan.
- Have your crust ready in the pie pan. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone pad since the pie could bubble over in the oven.
- Carefully put the apples in the pie crust lined pan. You could put a lattice top over the pie or cut out cute shapes with a cookie cutter to place over the apples.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes at 425. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C) Continue to bake for 45 minutes, sheilding pie after 10 minutes .. so it doesn't get too brown around the edges.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C) Continue to bake for 45 minutes, sheilding pie after 10 minutes(with a round pie shield that goes over the edge of the pie or aluminum foil, so it doesn't get too brown around the edges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Pie
DIY Storage Made Simple (and Cheap)
Transform the humble shoebox
Transform the humble shoebox.
Summer, please don't go.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Stick it to 'em.
Get your shine on.