If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These Canadian treats are named after a town on Vancouver Island. Since Canada is my home and native land, I've been eating and making them for as long as I can remember. This is my favourite version, a modification of a recipe from Time-Honoured Recipes of the Canadian West. —Stephanie Bourgeois
Makes a 9 x 9-inch pan
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Place the 1/2 cup butter, sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Set bowl in pan of hot water. Stir until butter is melted. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix in graham cracker crumbs and coconut. Pack into ungreased 9x9 pan. (If you are worried about the raw egg you can bake in a hot oven for a few minutes.)
- Combine the 5 tablespoons of butter, milk, custard powder and icing sugar. Mix until smooth spread over first mixture in pan. Chill until firm.
- Melt semisweet and unsweetened chocolate with the one tablespoon of butter and spread evenly over top. Chill until firm. Cut into bars to serve.
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).