Author Notes: I have been baking this cake for over 40 years to rave reviews from family and friends. I always have one in my freezer just in case guests drop by unexpectedly. - Bubbie
- 6 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 21/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cannola or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1. combine first 3 ingredients well.
- Mix all remaining ingredients, until the batter is well incorporated.
- grease and flour a large bundt pan
- pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan. The batter is very thick, so use a butter knife or offset spatula to smooth and even it out,
- Place 1/2 of the apple mixture on top of the batter and spread evenly.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter on top of the apples and spread evenly trying to cover the apples (you probably won't cover al of them and that's all right.
- Evenly place the remaining apple mixture on top
- Evenly spread the remaining batter on top of the apples.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours in a 375 degree oven. (If the top begins to brown too much, cover it lightly with some aluminum foil.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.