If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My twist on the age-old ham and cheese. I was trying to come up with a way to serve a grilled ham and cheese that would still taste great cold and I thought that Halloumi cheese may be the answer since it doesn't really melt, (therefore, it won't get greasy like other previously melted cheese tends to do when cold) also, it's the only cheese that I know of that can be grilled on it's own. I made this last night, took it out of the fridge early this morning to warm it to room temp and added the basil to the sandwich. The flavors were really more than I was expecting. The mascarpone added a wonderful creaminess to the sandwich and really complimented the texture of the Halloumi and ever so slightly, softened the saltiness of the prosciutto. - TiggyBee
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 Slices of classic Italian bread
- Pan grilled Halloumi cheese
- 2 Slices of prosciutto
- Mascarpone cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Lightly grilled red onion slices
- Butter for outside of bread
- Slice the halloumi cheese width-wise and add to a sauté pan. Grill it until both sides are a nice golden brown.
- Assemble sandwich and place on panini press, adding the fresh basil after sandwich has cooled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch