If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like to utilize nuts and legumes as a protein source for lunches. I also find toasting the walnuts give them a great depth of flavor. This spread keeps really well in the lunchbox, and one batch can be used for several lunches. I always appreciate making one item at the beginning of the week and being able to use it later on when the week gets hectic, as they always do! And kids surprisingly love this spread as a lunch or even an afternoon snack, where I give it to them as a dip for vegetables. This recipe also doubles easily. - Christina C - Christina C
Food52 Review: There is a nice depth of flavors in this spread, and it goes well with the crunch of lettuce and cucumber in a sandwich. It’s healthy and a nice change from more traditional sandwich fillings. Although the original sandwich recipe is vegan, I added some fresh goat cheese to give some creamy tangy contrast and thought it worked quite well. I served this as an open-faced sandwich to my friends and they thought it was quite refreshing and tasty. I think it would also be good with just a quick mix/chop instead of puree, but the veggies in the sandwich do provide a nice contrast to the creamy puree if following the recipe as is. – JoanG - A&M
Serves 3 sandwiches
For the Walnut Lentil Spread
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup French lentils, cooked
- 2 scallions, (white and green part), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
To Assemble Sandwiches
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch alfalfa sprouts
- 3 large lettuce leaves
- Place walnuts in a dry skillet and toast over medium-high heat until you can smell the walnuts, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place all ingredients except water in a food processor, and blend until creamy smooth. Drizzle water if mixture is too thick.
- Place spread on 6 slices bread, add vegetables assemble sandwiches with 2 slices of bread each. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch