If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a wonderful recipe that can be changed to accommodate whatever you have on hand or are trying to use up. For instance, try adding shredded carrots instead of (or in addition to) minced onion to the meat. When packing for lunch, just put some sauce and cheese in small containers or bags on the side and put everything together at lunch time! Yum! A toasty warm meal for any time of day. —Jenie
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup crushed honey oat cereal flakes
- 1/2 piece jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- splashes lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 hoagie rolls
- garlic salt and ground pepper
- olive oil
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2 handfuls shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together the veal, bread crumbs, cereal flakes, onion, jalapeño, 2 tablespoons of the minced garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and egg. Shape the mixture into palm-sized meatballs and arrange in a glass baking dish.
- Bake the meatballs for 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, slice the hoagie rolls in half. Brush the rolls with olive oil and sprinkle them with garlic salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of minced garlic along the inside (cut side) of the rolls. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and put them in the oven 2-3 minutes before the meatballs are done baking.
- Take both the meatballs and hoagie rolls out of the oven. Sprinkle cheese along the insides of both rolls. Arrange the meatballs on top of the cheese. Spoon the spaghetti sauce over the meatballs. Place the sandwiches back in the oven for another few minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is warm. Leave the sandwiches longer if you want toastier bread.
- Top with spinach and eat!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.