Author Notes: While I may not be as thrifty a cook as I want to be I do know not to throw away the bacon fat. After all it is great for salad dressings, essential in black skillet cornbread and really good for sauteing. Even still, I still don’t want to eat it everyday.
On the other hand I don’t want microwave popcorn and I also find myself adding butter to the popcorn I popped in grape seed oil.
Where does this leave me? Well, I am just gonna say, I don’t eat popcorn but once a month at most so I have to think of it this way, live large.
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
- 1/2 cup popcorn
- sea salt
- In a 3 /12 quart Dutch oven add the bacon fat and place the pot over medium high heat. Once the fat has melted add the popcorn.
- Cover the pan and shake it around for a moment.
- Once the popcorn starts popping shake it more and as the popcorn pops faster shake more often.
- Once the popping resides dump the popcorn into a large bowl and season it with salt. Serve