If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love an excuse to eat mayonnaise, and chicken salad is no exception. But in an effort to curb my mayonnaise intake a bit (too much mayonnaise is making for too much me-- in all the wrong places), I wanted to keep the salad from being too dry while also bulking it up with some fresh vegetables (since I was headed in a healthier direction anyway). There is just enough mayonnaise to bind the salad, and using lemon juice and all of the tomato helps maintain moisture and brightness. I like to load the salad onto either toasted whole grain or levain, but it's also great spread on crackers, mixed with salad greens, or rolled in lettuce leaves. - vvvanessa
Serves 2 sandwiches
- 1 cup diced roasted chicken, a combination of dark and white meat cut small is ideal
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 1 small, ripe tomato, diced small, including seeds and skins
- 1 scallion, green and white parts minced
- 1 cup /1 handful clean, dried baby spinach, chopped fine
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 grinds freshly ground black pepper
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl, and mix to combine well.
- Serve on toasted bread, spread lightly with butter, or on crackers. A crisp apple or pear and a handful of toasted nuts on the side make for great accompaniments.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch