If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Having lived about 5 years in Germany in all, I have been sorely missing the fresh cheese speise quark. So this week I have been creating substitutions to simulate this. Lo and behold today I found a Vermont company that now makes a pretty good quark. But I have grown fond of my concoctions, too, so am recommending them. For this brown bag, you should pack the cheese blend and fresh vegetable topping separately from the bread until serving time to keep your bread from getting soggy. If you absolutely had to pack it assembled ahead, then toast the bread first or use a knackebrot instead. —Sagegreen
- 4 slices of bakery fresh nine grain sourdough whole wheat bread or an equivalent quality variation of your choice
- 2 ounces fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces Bulgarian sheep's feta or equivalent
- 1 ounce creme fraiche
- 1 ounce Quaker whipped cream cheese
- 2 ounces fresh finely chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 1 ounce pickled green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ounce fresh cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 ounce finely chopped dill, chives, flat leaf parsley, and basil
- slices of heirloom and pickled green tomatoes reserved for topping garnish
- kosher salt and fresh milled pepper to taste
- optional drizzle of EVOO
- By hand blend all the cheeses together to form a smooth spread. Mix in 3/4 of the fresh herbs, and tomatoes, and all of the cucumbers. Pack this to travel.
- Season the chopped tomatoes with salt and pepper with optional EVOO and pack them to travel. Pack the bread slices, cut in half, as well.
- Serving time, spread a generous amount of the cheese blend on each half of the bread slices. Garnish with the reserved tomatoes and fresh herbs. Enjoy this open face either in hand or with a knife and fork.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
A Bagel & Lox, In Salad Form
This is (crème) fraîche
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Churn with confidence.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.