Author Notes: Want an explosion of fresh apple? My Mississippi Delta born mum's recipe will do it. With 3 cups of apple to 3 cups of flour, it only JUST holds together, but the taste is so divine, you won't mind the crumble. Take care when removing this cake from the pan - it requires delicate handling. I prefer this cake with the tartness of Granny Smith apples. - Frugal Kiwi
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup cooking oil of your choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 juice of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups peeled and chopped fresh apples
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 (160C). Grease a tube pan and dust with flour.
- Combine sugar, oil, vanilla extract, eggs, lemon juice, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat well.
- Mix flour and baking soda then add to the first mixture and beat well.
- Add apples and pecans, if using, and mix well.
- Pour into prepared tube pan.
- Bake 1 ½ hours, until golden on top. Let sit a few minutes, then unmold.