Author Notes: This is a family favorite that originated with our Aunt Shirley, more affectionately known as "Aunt Squirrely". At age 90, Aunt Squirrely is still baking her cake to everyone's complete delight. - Sharon Tama
Serves 10 - 12
for the cake,, mix and set aside
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
for the cake, beat the following until smooth
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Mix the apples, 5 T. sugar, and cinnamon and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, 2 c. sugar, 1 c. oil, orange juice, and vanilla until smooth.
- Combine the following and add to the wet ingredients a little at a time: 3 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a greased 10" tube pan, add a layer of batter, then a layer of apple mixture, then a second layer of batter, then a second layer of apple mixture, ending with a top layer of batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes (check after 1 hour). Allow to cool. Remove from pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
Tags: travels well