Author Notes: Adults like Halloween treats too! Enjoy this variation on the caramel apple and play on the apple martini...the result: Caramel Appletini Pops for your upcoming Halloween party :) - froandafork
Serves about 6 pops
Caramel Appletini Pops
- 5 Granny Smith Apples
- 4 ounces vodka or rum
- 2 ounces apple schnapps
- wooden skewers
- Caramel Sauce
- 1.5 cups crushed graham crackers
- Cut each apple in half and use a melon baller to make apple domes. Place the completed domes in a bowl of water with a bit of lemon or lime juice to prevent browning of the apples while you work.
- In a large bowl, combine the vodka (or rum) and apple schnapps.
- Place apple domes in the bowl with the vodka (or rum) + schnapps mixture, cover with plastic wrap, and allow the apples to "become drunk" in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- After an hour remove apple domes from the alcohol mixture, lightly pat dry (not too hard, we want the alcohol to stay in there!), and place 4-5 domes on each skewer.
- Generously spoon caramel sauce over each apple skewer and place the skewers on a parchment paper lined pan or a silpat.
- Once apples are covered with caramel, generously sprinkle each skewer with graham cracker dust and place in the refrigerator to allow the caramel to cool and reset.
- Enjoy! *Note: Unlike normal caramel apples, this should be enjoyed the same day so that the graham crackers do not become soggy. You can however make them a few hours ahead of your event*
Caramel Sauce for a Cheater
- 25 pieces caramel candy (I used the ones sold at Whole Foods' Bakery)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Place cream and candies in a sauce pan over low heat until caramels have melted, stirring occasionally.
- Use this sauce to coat the drunken apples.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Halloween Treat