If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This preparation lends itself to travel meals -- like camping, picnics, or tailgating. Much can be prepared in advance. - North Country Rambler —North Country Rambler
Food52 Review: When we first saw this recipe, we thought: what a great idea to pack up all your ingredients and then head off to the game to grill some paella! We were even happier to find that North Country Rambler's paella is more than just a fun gimmick; it's also a savory, earthy rice dish, generously scented with saffron and studded with chicken, pork shoulder and chorizo, with a stunning top layer of shrimp, peas and roasted red pepper. If you don't have a grill, you can easily make this on the stove, but we loved the smokiness -- and the excitement -- of cooking it in stages over an open flame. - A&M —The Editors
Serves 15 person tailgate party
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Chorizo sausage, 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs, bite size
- 1 pound fresh pork shoulder, bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups tomatoes chopped
- 3 cups "Bomba" or good short grain rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup Peas (frozen is fine)
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers sliced
- Assemble ingredients in zip lock bags. Bring a cup of good extra virgin olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, three large pinches of saffron, a wooden spoon, and a supply of Rioja! Go to the stadium!
Assemble the Paella
- Salt & pepper
- 3 pinches saffron
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Center coals in middle of grill and heat a large paella or 14" (or bigger) pan, ideally with a charcoal Weber kettle (but any BBQ grill will work).
- In the heated center of the pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and the cut up Chorizo sausage. The spicy Chorizo will flavor the cooking oil. Cook almost through, and push to side of pan.
- Season chicken and pork with salt and pepper and cook them in center of pan. When almost cooked through, push to side to keep warm.
- Sauté onion and garlic over center heat until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and stir.
- Distribute all cooked ingredients evenly around pan. Add rice, and chicken stock. Season to taste with red pepper flakes. Distribute saffron and mix with rice and liquid. Bring to simmer and cook uncovered for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. When liquid is almost absorbed, distribute shrimp and peas evenly around pan, Place strips of roasted pepper on top of paella. Cover pan or close Weber Kettle lid. Cook ten minutes covered to develop smoky flavor, or until the shrimp is just cooked. Check rice for texture and serve.
- Your Best Paella Contest Finalist!
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.