If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my research about Frank Waugh, a professor of landscape gardening for 40 years, I have come across several recipes he includes at the end of his fruit books. Many of the recipes he attributes to Miss Farmer or Mrs. Rorer, but this one appears without any other attributes. Since I need to get my research back on track, I thought it would be fun to include some of these interesting recipes. This one was included in The American Peach Orchard from 1915. Waugh notes the Waddell or Late Crawford varieties among the best peaches. For this recipe Waugh tells us that any good peach will do. I am suggesting a very light dipping in sugar and adding the herbal garnish with cinnamon. Interesting that the sugar is not added into the egg whites in this recipe. It is fun to do the dipping. I like the crunch of the granulated sugar, but you could do these with powdered sugar as well. - Sagegreen
- 2 ripe peaches
- 1 egg white beaten until stiff
- 1/8 cup finely granulated sugar for dipping
- fresh sprig of lavender, mint, or rosemary
- sprinkle of ground cinnamon, optional garnish
- douse the peaches with optional brandy for a holiday variation
- Pare and cut any good ripe peach in half. For a holiday version douse the peaches in peach brandy. A tablespoon ladled over each half would be generous.
- Next dip the peach halves in the beaten egg white. Next lightly dip in the sugar. Use as little as possible.
- Again dip the peach in the egg, and again next in the sugar. Continue until you have the desired thickness of icing you like.
- Garnish with cinnamon and serve with a fresh herbal sprig.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.