If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you like making bread and you have a root vegetable on hand, then this bread is an excellent recipe to make. I used fresh garden parsnip for this loaf. —lapadia
Makes one 8-inch oval loaf
THE SPONGE AND THE BREAD DOUGH
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon malt powder (or sugar)
- 1 cup grated peeled parsnip (or another root vegetable)
- BREAD DOUGH
- 2 cups AP flour- plus 1/4 cup extra for kneading
- 1 heaping teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt (I like Himalayan)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the rye flour, malt powder and grated parsnip, stir to blend all ingredients. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, to form the sponge.
- To the sponge; add 2 cups of the flour, caraway seeds, salt and pepper, stir until a soft dough forms. Knead the dough out on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic; if needed, add enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with oilive oil, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled – about 45 minutes.
- Knead dough down, cover and let it rise again, until doubled in size.
- Knead dough down, cover and let rest until needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
THE RISE & BAKING
- Buttery cooking spray
- 1 handfull of cornmeal
- Optional - pinches of sea salt (I like Himalayan)
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with the cornmeal.
- Shape the dough into a small oval - anywhere from 8-10 inches. Lightly spray the surface with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size - about 30 minutes.
- Once again, spray the surface of the risen dough with cooking spray. Optional - sprinkle with pinches of sea salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
- *recipe is adapted & modified from a Cooking Light recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
Stress-Eat These Snacks
They're "True Detective" marathon approved
Stress-eat snacks for "True Detective."
Lemon bar cheesecake takes the cake.
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.