If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I live in the Southwest where tacos are king. I love this recipe because you can buy a cheap cut of pork, dark chicken or even beef (anything on sale) But, pork butt really works best. You throw everything in a slow cooker, set it and forget it. If you have a little more time on your hands, sear the meat for better flavor and a nice caramelized color. I've made carnitas with orange juice, but the idea of evaporated milk and cola really inspires my taste buds. These are moist and flavorful and are wonderful to come home to after a long day at work or taking care of the kids. This method is a weeknight must for any busy person running around trying to be a fabulous (put your daily passion in here). Making this for friends and family is great too because it is familiar enough to even make the kids happy, but sophisticated enough to make the adults giddy too! Oh, and don't forget to top the tacos with queso fresco and serve with either warmed corn or flour tortillas! —jonewman
Serves 8-10 people
Slow Cooked Carnitas
- 4 pounds pork butt
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can cola soda
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange (rind and juice)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a separate bowl mix evaporated milk, cola, nutmeg, cumin, oregano, chili flakes, chicken base, orange zest and juice from 1 orange, crushed garlic, salt and pepper.
- In a large saute pan pour about 1 tbsp of neutral oil and sear the salt and peppered Pork Butt for 8-10 minutes (or until all sides are nicely browned. Put Pork Butt in the Slow Cooker. Add cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. Pour marinade over the pork butt and put lid on slow cooker. Put slow cooker onto the lowest setting and let it cook for 8-10 hours.
- When cooking is done, take out of slow cooker and shred with a fork and put a little bit of the cooking liquid on the shredded pork to stay moist. Serve immediately as a taco or burrito with either corn or flour tortillas. Top with salsa and queso fresca
- To serve, warm up either corn or flour tortillas. Put a couple of spoonfuls of pulled pork in the tortilla and top with the Corn and Avocado Salsa and some Queso Fresco (or any cheese of your choosing).
Corn and Avocado Salsa
- 1 packet frozen corn or 4 ears of fresh corn off the cob
- 1 jalapeño small dice with seeds and membrane discarded
- 1/2 red onion small dice
- 8 radishes cut in half and then sliced in half moons
- handful of chopped cilantro
- juice of two fresh limes
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 avocado, chopped
- In a small bowl mix the juice of two limes, vinegar, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper…set aside.
- Put your diced jalapeño and red onion in a medium bowl. Add the sliced radishes and corn. Sprinkle in the chopped cilantro and lightly toss. Add the vinegar, lime, spice mixture to the medium bowl and mix. Take a small taste and readjust seasoning. Right before serving, stir in chopped avocado.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Cheese peppers, grapes, and more
This week's best #F52farmstands.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Storage made crystal clear.