If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Labneh is a fresh Middle Eastern yogurt cheese made from cow’s milk. Labneh, a word derived from the word laban which means white or milk.
Labneh is a delicious strained yogurt cheese, is yogurt which has been strained in a cloth or cheese cloth made of muslin, to remove the whey, giving a consistency between that of yogurt and cheese, while preserving yogurt’s distinctive sour taste.
Strained yogurt is a traditional food in the Middle East and South Asia, where it is often used in cooking, as it is high enough in fat not to curdle at higher temperatures. It is used in both cooked and raw, savory and sweet dishes.
In Lebanon & Syria, people eat this fresh cheese on a daily basis. Labneh can be eaten plain or you can add many different flavors to it like dried mint, sumac, olives, parsely & extra virgin olive oil. It is also used in salads like a yogurt tarragon & cucumber salad. Labneh is also used in soups, which gives soup a creamy tangy taste.
Labneh makes a great appetizer, serve it with Pita bread, crackers or on spread it on a crostini bread drizzled with good extra virgin olive oil. Not to mention its healthy and nutritious! - onetribegourmet
- 4 cups Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Sumac
- Italian Parsley for garnish
- Mix the yogurt with the salt.
- Spoon into a clean cheese cloth (muslin) or you can use a dish towel.
- Tie the corners of the cloth and hang it at a convenient cooler place in your kitchen for about 2 hours. Keep a bowl underneath to collect the liquid or whey.
- Put it in the refrigerator and let it drain more for 48-72 hours more.
- To serve, place the yogurt cheese ball on a plate and flatten the surface. Make a little well and fill with extra virgin olive oil & sprinkle the Sumac on top. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Stop the soap opera.