Author Notes: I learned to make caramel sauce from Jaquie at Black Market Grill in Garret Park, MD. She is amazing and I loved every minute of my time with her. My love is Irish so I added some whiskey (or bourbon) to make him smile. - LizTerry
Serves 2 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- water to just cover the sugar and the bottom of the pan
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons whiskey or bourbon
- pour sugar into a saucepan
- add water to just cover the sugar in the pan
- bowl on high and stir constantly
- the sugar will start to "burn" so pay attention. You want to pull the sugar/water mixture off the heat when it gets to a dark caramel color. Usually takes about 5 minutes once at a hard boil.
- Slowly pour cream into sugar/water while whisking with your other hand. Keep mixing until smooth. Add whiskey and stir.
- Caramel will be very hot!! Allow to cool and then pour over ice cream or dip pretzels or drizzle over your favorite cheesecake.