Author Notes: I got this recipe from my roommate in college, Meredithe. One year on our Thanksgiving break we backed pies, cookies, and cakes. This recipe quickly became my family favorite! Every year when I make it I am reminded of the our college roommate days, and the amazing backing day! This is a very rustic and easy to make recipe! - adamnsvetcooking
Makes 1 cake
- 1 Bag of fresh cranberries roughly chopped (you can use frozen here, just make sure that the cranberries are thawed)
- 1 cup Roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Stick of butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon backing powder
- 1/2 teaspoon backing soda
- Pre heat oven to 350ºF.
- In a mixing bowl mix the cranberries, sugar and the walnuts. Place in a 9'' pie dish (make sure to use a deep pie dish).
- Using a mixer cream the butter and the sugar. Add the egg, milk and vanilla. Cream until combined. Mix the dry ingredients together, and add in 1/3 to the butter/sugar/egg/milk mixture.
- Top the cranberries with the batter. Place the pie dish on top of a backing sheet and add to oven. Bake for about 45 mins to an hour. The topping will be golden brown with cranberry juice bubbling on the sides.
- Let the cake cool for 5 to 10 mins. This is what I call a spoon cake. Take a big serving spoon and dig in! Serve yourself a big dollop of cake.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert