If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is nothing that beats a good creamy Gratin Dauphinois. The traditional method calls for pre-cooked potatoes in milk or cream but I prefer to cook them raw in an oven dish at a low temperature for a long time. As I live in Italy, I italianised my cooking a lot so this is an interpretation of a Gratin Dauphinois "my way" adding Taleggio, a creamy cheese from Tuscany and some Gorgonzola. - Maria Teresa Jorge
Stracchino and Gorgonzola cream
- 4 cups double cream
- 3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons Stracchino cheese
- 3 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese
- Pepper white
- In a heavy sauce pan, over moderate heat, warm up the milk. Add the Stracchino and Gorgonzola cheeses cut up in small pieces and mix until the cheeses are completely melted. Add the cream and season with salt and freshly white pepper to your tasting.
- 3.5 pounds potatoes - starchy
- 1 garlic clove
- Pre-heat the oven to 250ºF with rack in the middle position.
- Peel the potatoes and wash them. Cut the potatoes in thin slices with a mandolin and set aside - do not wash them after slicing them.
- Peel and cut a garlic in half. With the cut side down, thoroughly rub the inside of 9 x 13 inches a baking dish. Butter the bottom and sides of the baking dish.
- Put the potato slices half overlaping each other and make a first layer. Pour just enough cheese cream mixture over (don't cover them). Make another layer of potatoes and add some more cheese cream mixture. Repeat until you have finished all the potatoes. Pour the remaining cheese cream mixture over the potatoes. The dish should be filled only to 2/3.
- Cook in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until the potatoes are cooked (insert the blade of a knife and they should be soft). If the gratin starts to brown before the potatoes are done, cover with aluminium foil until they are completely cooked.
- Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Gratin
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.