If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I can't legitimately lay claim to this, but it is such a good recipe that I feel compelled to submit it just to share. So no prizes for me, just the satisfaction of the proselytizer. Malva Pudding is a popular South African dessert, found on restaurant menus and buffets throughout the country. It is often spiced with cinnamon, but I find this very plain version to be my favourite. I made this once for Thanksgiving at my mother's in Denver and wandered into the kitchen afterwards to find someone attacking the pan with a spoon. It's just that good. It's also quite simple and can be thrown into the oven as you serve the turkey so it comes out hot and ready to serve at just the right time. It should be served with custard, aka creme anglaise. (The 'sauce' in the recipe is really just how the dish is finished when it comes out of the oven.) —innoabrd
Serves many, but re-heats really well so make plenty.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Beat the eggs, the sugar and jam together.
- Separately, combine the flour, soda and salt.
- Melt the butter and add the vinegar.
- Add the milk and flour alternately to the egg mixture. Then add the vinegar/butter.
- Mix well and pour into a Pyrex or earthenware baking dish, approximately 10" x 13" and cover with foil. Bake 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees. The pudding is done when it is a uniform, rich brown.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan and heat, stirring, until melted and combined. Pour over the pudding when it comes out of the oven and allow to soak in before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
It's in the bag.