Author Notes: I had avoided pumpkin pie until earlier this year, not sure why I just did. This year I attempted my first pumpkin pie and was amazed at the taste. Since then I have been trying to get more pumpkin in everything! Seeing that I cannot always have pumpkin pie in the house I have been crafting various pumpkin recipes to keep on hand all year. I hope you enjoy the cupcakes and look forward to your comments. - JenFred
Makes 6 cupcakes
For crumble topping & Apple filling
- 1/4 cup Ground Hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 Honeycrisp Apples- peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter (Room Temp)
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cups Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon All Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (non flavored)
- 1/4 cup butter (room temp)
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- Combine ground hazelnuts, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Allow to cool and set aside.
- Cut apples into uniform 1 inch cubes and sauté apples, 2 tablespoons golden brown sugar and 1 tablespoon butter until tender (not mushy). Allow to cool and set aside.
- Sift remaining dry ingredients to combine in large bowl. Using a hand mixer combine eggs, yogurt, butter and molasses in separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients in small amounts until all incorporated and mixed completely.
- To Assemble: 1. Fill each cupcake ½ full with batter. Making a shallow indent for the apple filling. 2. Add 1 table spoon of apple mixture in indent of batter. (Goal is to have the batter surrounding the apples.) 3. Top the batter/apple filling with the remaining batter. Leaving ¾ inch of space at top of each cupcake. 4. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of each cupcake. 5. Bake until the topping is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. 6. Cool cupcakes in pan for about 20 minutes. If I have any of the apple filling left over I warm them up and add to plate when serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert