If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The day(s) before Thanksgiving is a day of shopping, prep work and making anything ahead that you can. This cake and compote can be made a day (or a couple of days) in advance. Just reheat the compote before serving. I like to use different fruits-some that will break down and some that will stay firm; some that are sweeter and some that are tart. - nannydeb
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- powedered sugar for sprinkling on top
- Set butter out to soften.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 10 cup bundt or tube pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream mixture and mix until well blended.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cake plate to cool completely.
- Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar before serving.
Winter Fruit Compote
- 2 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 Golden Delicious apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 4 Red pears, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 Naval orange, cut in 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons Calvados, Grand Marnier or brandy
- In a large pot, bring the water, cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla bean and sugar to a boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add fruit and reduce to a simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the fruit has broken down and the liquid reduced to your liking.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla bean and orange segments before serving.
- Serve the compote warm over a slice of cake.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Bell of the Ball
Stuffed peppers that are herbly wonderful.
The classiest peppers on the 'net.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.