Author Notes: While making dinner one evening, cold beverage in hand, I started to think about how nice a dessert would be. "I've got apples, brown sugar, oatmeal...but I don't want to use the oven. Hmmm...what to do..." Suddenly the plan burst forth like Athena from Zeus' forehead. The results were judged to be among the top 1 percent of things I had ever made. - poorlocavore
- 8 cups Apples, cored and diced
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat..
- Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add the apples, and mix until they are coated.
- Sautee apples in butter, stirring constantly, until a sauce begins to form; then reduce heat to low.
- Sift flour, cane sugar, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in rolled oats, then add milk and stir until just mixed.
- Bring skillet heat back up to medium; spoon batter over apples.
- Cook uncovered for approx. 5 minutes, then covered for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat when dumpling topping is firm. Serve a la mode.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert