Author Notes: Here, the tartness of rhubarb and cranberries is delicately balanced with the sweetness of apples and pears. Instead of the usual 'pumpkin pie' spices, I tossed in a few splashes of bitters to lend a bit of spice and a hint of Je ne sais quoi. - TiggyBee
- 1 bunch washed and cut rhubarb
- 2 peeled, cored and sliced pears
- 2 peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Angostura bitters
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- In a sauce pan, combine the apple cider, sugar and orange zest and bring to a near boil.
- Add the apples and pears and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, then add the rhubarb and continue to cook for a few minutes longer until it starts to soften. At this point, toss in the cranberries and bitters. The cranberries will be done when they start to burst. (1 to 2 minutes over med-high heat.) Taste and add more sugar and bitters if necessary.
- Spoon over your favorite ice cream when cooled a bit and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert