Author Notes: This is my version of a family recipe that used a boxed cake mix as it's foundation. It's a dessert that I always enjoy more than I even remember, but never liked needing to buy a mix and pour box to make it. It's not quite cake, not quite shortbread on the bottom, and has a gooey center that melds nicely with the crust, all topped with pecans. - northlookcook
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside 2/3 cup of mixture.
- Mix dry ingredients with butter and 1 egg. Press into greased 9x13 pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- While baking, mix remaining ingredients and and pour over crust when you remove it from the oven.
- Continue to cook for 25-30 minutes until set in the middle. Cool and cut into squares.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert