If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I grew up eating my paternal grandmother's (Grandma Val) twice baked potatoes that she lovingly made for Thanksgiving always, for every other holiday, and whenever we requested them. They frequently accompanied her brisket also. Breaking from tradition, I came up with this recipe a few years ago. They add a new dimension of flavor to traditional Thanksgiving flavors. I'll even eat them cold. —testkitchenette
Serves about 4, depending on potato size and appetite
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, pricked all over with a fork
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, heated in a saucepan and kept warm until ready to use
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoons salt, to your liking
- pepper to taste
- 1-3 splashes olive oil
- handfuls pecans, chopped
- gallons shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Cook the sweet potatoes in the oven for 1 hr and 10 min until a skewer slides through it like butter. Set aside and let cool.
- When easy enough to handle, cut in half (so flattest side will sit on baking dish) and scoop out flesh (leaving some on bottom and sides of potato skins so it won’t split or rip) into a bowl.
- Begin mashing the sweet potatoes with a potato masher. Then add coconut milk, ginger, agave/maple syrup, Adobo sauce, salt, and pepper. Continue mashing until desired consistency. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Scoop mashed sweet potato mixture into shells. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and coconut. Bake in a 350F oven for 20-30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
What we turn to in the kitchen
13 essential cooking apps.
Paint your kitchen in one day.
We've got the summer blues.
How to cook with herb stems.
A better basket.