Author Notes: Here's a tasty and attractive variation on the usual sweet potatoe dish for Thanksgiving. - Anthony Chiffolo
- 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup whole cranberries
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 2" disks. Place them in a large pot with enough water to cover and cook until boiling; reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or so, until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain, and place in a large oven-proof casserole dish.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan, and stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and grape juice. Pour the mixture over the potatoes.
- Arrange a walnut, a cranberry or two, and a marshmallow in and around each potato for decorative effect.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side