If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an awesome post-apple picking recipe because you use fresh chopped apples AND applesauce!! I love to make this cake with homemade applesauce, but in a pinch the store-bought stuff will work just fine. We love this recipe because it is BEYOND moist, spicy, and full of delicious fall apple flavor. —Sweet Life Kitchen
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, room temprature
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 apples
- Grease a 9 inch diameter bundt pan or a 9x9 square baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and center a rack.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and set aside.
- Finely chop 3/4 of one of the apples...set the other 1/4 aside.
- Using a mandoline slicer, thinly slice one apple into slices and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment combine the butter sugar and shortening until fluffy, then add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add the egg and mix, then the applesauce and mix, until incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and the buttermilk bit by bit alternating each, until all ingredients are mixed in, stop and scrape the bottom & sides of the bowl at least once. Then add the chopped fresh apple by handfuls, while the mixer is on a low speed until fully incorporated.
- Use the thin sliced apple to line the bottom of the pan you are using, then pour the batter on top of the thin apple slices.
- Bake at 400 for about 40-45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let stand about 10 minutes, then invert/flip the cake out onto a cake plate to cool completely.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.