Author Notes: I usually make potato pancakes to top with something...caviar, jam, salsa. This time I made it to just stand alone ...all by itself. The blue cheese makes it savory and creamy, the red onions a sweet crunch and all this needs to top it is a little pinch of fleur de sel. - dymnyno - dymnyno
Food52 Review: Delicious! I had never made latkes before, and I was worried about so many things as began cooking. Would the fragile batter fall apart? Would I undercook the potato and red onions rendering them unpalatable? Would I know when to flip them? But immediately Dymnymo's crisp, direct instructions put me at ease, making me think, maybe I really can do this. The resulting latkes were wonderful. Golden, crispy, perfectly cooked (in spite of the unspecified frying time, if you wait until they are thoroughly golden and crispy on each side, they really are done), and full of the sweetness of the onions and salty earthiness of blue cheese. As Dymnymo says, you don't need anything but a sprinkle of sea salt to top them, but for the traditionalists, they are also lovely with applesauce and sour cream. - fiveandspice
Serves 2, 4, 6
- 1 medium russet potato
- 1 cup red onion, small dice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fleur de sel
- black pepper
- Grate the potato on a box grater and squeeze as much moisture as you can (use a towel)
- Dice the red onion (small)
- Mix the grated potato and the onions together in a large bowl.
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Add the eggs.
- Add the blue cheese crumbles and pepper and mix.
- Melt the butter and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the pan and press to make it flat and uniform in shape.
- Cook until crisp , then turn over and finish.
- Makes a few large pancakes or a lot of small ones...Serve them hot! Add more butter and olive oil if you need more during the process.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes