If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was a kid my mom made a version of this in a slow cooker with seared beef and beef broth. She called it Spanish Beef Stew though I'm not sure what's so Spanish about it. I've played around with the original concept and come up with this veg friendly version. It's now one of my go-to recipes on a chilly night when a I want to have something that cooks itself with just a little bit of effort on my part. Serve with nice bread, perhaps a full bodied red wine. —darabekah
Serves 4-6, generously
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans of chickpeas (alternately, use one can of chickpeas and one block of extra firm tofu, cubed into pieces approx 3/4")
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, 1" cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground corriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth or stock (or liquid from garbonzos, if you've cooked your own)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn. (I love corn, I often use more)
- In a dutch oven or heavy soup pot, heat a few tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5-6 minutes until they are just starting to soften. Salt lightly.
- Add minced garlic and continue cooking for 5 or so minutes, until fragrant and onions are translucent. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and burning.
- Stir in chickpeas (and tofu if you are using). Add in salt, pepper, coriander and cayenne and cook for a a few (or more if you're not in a hurry) minutes to flavor the protein.
- Add sweet potatoes tomatoes with juice, broth or stock, corn, and balsamic vinegar. Stir well and bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes or so until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Taste and adjust seasonings. Enjoy
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.