If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I learned how to make potato pancakes in the kitchen of my German aunt. While this version strays from her traditional kartoffelpuffer, I am reminded of her standing at the counter, grating potatoes and then onions, every time I make them. I have opted to dice rather than grate the onions because it is a little less labor-intensive. Their smaller size makes for a perfect appetizer or snack at a party. And serving them with a tangy yogurt instead of cream makes them a little bit healthier. —theyearinfood
Makes 32 small latkes
- 3 cups grated sweet potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Mix together the sweet potatoes, spices and flour in a large bowl with a fork. Blend in the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot and oil begins to shimmer, begin cooking latkes.
- Measure a generous tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture and spoon into skillet. Place four pancakes in skillet per round, flattening each with a fork.
- Brown latkes for about four minutes per side, until golden brown, and place on a paper towel to drain. Add more oil to the skillet, in tablespoon increments, as needed. Allow oil to warm again before working with next batch.
- If you find that the mixture is a little wet, gently squeeze out excess moisture with fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Keep cooked latkes in warmed oven until ready. Serve warm, adding a dollop of yogurt to each.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes
Our Latest Contest
Your best recipe with melon
Enter our latest contest!
Our weekend in photos.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
Recipe of the Day