If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: During the holidays, spiced pecans are a staple at gatherings everywhere but especially in Texas where pecan trees have grown along the riverbanks from Texas to Mexico since before recorded history. Roasted and spiced, they are perfect for cocktail parties, but they also make fantastic gifts. While store-bought gourmet varieties are readily available, it is so easy and so much better when you do it yourself. This is one of my favorite ways to make them. They are flavored with a seductive combination of spicy and sweet. Enjoy. - Waverly —Waverly
Food52 Review: Crunchy, salty, and smoky-sweet, with a hint of heat (Waverly calls for 3-4 dried chilies that presumably give off more heat than the sole dried Hatch chili I had on hand), these pretty little mahogany gems are the perfect cocktail nibble. I had planned on giving them as gifts, but they didn’t make it out of the house. Next time I’ll double the recipe. —Midge
Makes 4 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3-4 dried red chili peppers, any type
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- MAKE THE SAUCE: Preheat oven to 250. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water, and chiles. Bring to a boil over HIGH heat. Add pecans and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- BAKE: Pour pecans into a colander to drain off the sauce. Transfer the drained pecans to a baking sheet. Place in the upper 1/3 of the oven and bake 45 minutes.
- TOSS WITH MOLASSES AND BAKE AGAIN: Pour pecans into a mixing bowl and toss with molasses until they are evenly coated. Spread them back onto the baking sheet in an even layer. Bake, stirring occasionally, until very crisp, about 45 more minutes. Cool. Toss with salt. Serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.