If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I thought that the tartness and sweetness of apples would work well with cornbread and decided to bake a cornbread cake using a cornbread muffin batter as my base with chopped apples in it. The cake cake came out great especially baked in a cast-iron skillet, which results in a golden, crusty exterior. The cake can also be baked in a greased 9-inch square baking pan. The cake can be served alone or with vanilla ice cream for dessert or eaten for breakfast. —SooK
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing skillet
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 McIntosh or Granny Smith apples, chopped into about 1/2-inch pieces
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Set a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk the eggs in a second medium bowl until combined. Add the sugar to the eggs; whisk until combined; add the melted butter and whisk to combine. Add the buttermilk and whisk until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix gently with a rubber spatula until the batter is just combined. Fold the apples into the batter. Do not over mix.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, grease it with butter, and then quickly pour the batter into the heated skillet and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the cake onto a wire rack; cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.