Author Notes: This recipe comes from my mom, via a well-worn index card. Simple to make, they tend to disappear very quickly! - wssmom
Makes 28 biscuits
- 1/2 pound bulk sausage (you can use hot sausage, sweet Italian sausage, apple-chicken sausage ... whatever you like)
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk baking mix (gluten-free works also)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk (add more if mix is extra sticky)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper, dried thyme, ground ginger (if you have fresh thyme, use about 1/2 teaspoon, finely minced; ditto ginger)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a skillet, saute crumbled sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Combine in a bowl with baking mix and cheese.
- In another bowl, mix together egg, milk, and seasonings, add sausage mixture and blend well with hands.
- Shape mixture into 28 balls (about 1 tablesoon each), place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet, flatten slightly, and bake 20 mintes.
- Let cool, and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish