If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bloody Marys are a must at my family's holiday breakfast table, not only are they a great accompaniment to any number of dishes but also a little vodka before noon always makes the day feel special. The horseradish infused vodka is spicy and warms up any cold winter day. - NWB - NWB
Food52 Review: This is a classic Bloody Mary, with one very smart, feisty secret ingredient. NWB has you infuse your vodka overnight with dried chiles, black pepper and plenty of coarsely grated fresh horseradish. It takes all of 10 minutes to put together the night before and it's a step we may never skip again. It leaves a smooth, lingering heat in your throat and makes brunch that much more delightful. You can customize the booze level of each drink -- a 4:1 ratio of mixer to vodka worked well for the wimps among us, but feel free to crank it up. Note: This recipe makes more vodka than you need, so either double the mixer recipe (if you're serving a crowd), or -- oh well! -- you'll just have to have more Bloody Marys next weekend. - A&M - The Editors
- 1 piece fresh horseradish root (enough for 1 cup coarsely grated)
- 1/4 cup whole peppercorns
- 1-3 whole dried chiles
Bloody Mary Mix
- 1 32 ounce bottle of low sodium V8
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1-3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- salt and pepper
- celery seed
- Old Bay
- garnishes of choice: celery, pickled green beans, and lemon wedges
- Grate 1 cup fresh horseradish on large holes of a box grater. This will be very fragrant. Add grated horseradish to 1 liter of vodka with the peppercorns and whole chiles. Let steep overnight (not longer!).
- Strain vodka and put back in bottle. Taste the vodka for heat before adding horseradish to the Bloody Mary mix.
- Pour 1/4 cup of V8 juice out of bottle into a cup. Mix Worcestershire, Tabasco, horseradish, salt, and pepper into the bottle of V8 and shake vigorously. If using immediately distribute the non-mixed V8 between the drinks.
- Add ice to glasses, add vodka, add Bloody Mary mix, add a squeeze of lemon, sprinkle of celery seeds, sprinkle of Old Bay and stir. Add celery, pickled green bean, and lemon wedge as garnish.
- Drink and enjoy the holidays with your friends and family!
- Your Best Recipe with Horseradish Contest Finalist!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast