Author Notes: I love there is no fussing with a pastry crust especially on a busy holiday morning. Over the years I have made many variations of this recipe; changing the cheese, omitting meat, adding different seasonal veggies. This is my favorite incarnation. It is especially helpful in using the ham my mother likes to make for the Eve of the (Christmas) Eve. You can bake it the day before and warm before serving. - mcms1974
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek finely chopped
- cooking spray
- 1/4 pound ham, diced
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup biscuit mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a frying pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Spray a 10 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Sprinkle the leeks, ham and cheese evenly over the bottom.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Pour into the pie pan.
- Bake until golden brown and center is set, 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast